There are a ton of things to consider prior to your departure
but overall the trip is almost as simple as showing up and finding good waves.
What type of health precautions should I take?
- Most travelers usually update their tetanus and hepatitis shots before traveling to any remote region of the world.
- Staph Infection can be a reality with any reef cuts in the tropics. We recommend bringing a dose of antibiotics from your doctor, in case a reef cut starts to develop signs of infection. Consult your doctor for a prescription if you are concerned or especially if you are allergic to typical types of oral antibiotics.
- Malaria is not a big problem in the Mentawais as the islands are not highly populated. Consult your doctor if you are concerned.
- If you take a prescription medication make sure you bring the necessary paperwork that goes with it in case of an emergency.
- If you are prone to seasickness please bring something to counteract its effects such as dramamine or bonine.
- For more information please consult your doctor.
Should I be concerned about Malaria?
It is a matter of personal choice whether to take anti- malarial medication. Bugs are not really a problem in the Marshall Islands… you can sleep on the beach and wake up without a single bite.
How much money do I need to bring?
Once you get to the boat all you have to focus on is getting as many good waves as possible. Most of our guests bring extra money for the following reasons:
- A. Traveling Money: $150 US
- Souvenir money: $50 US
- VISA money: $35 US (more info)
- Money for tipping the staff: $100 – $300 US
*Airlines can charge excess baggage for boardbags, please see Packing for more info.
Do I need travel insurance?
Travel Insurance is recommended for your personal safety. A decent travel insurance package will provide coverage for the following: trip cancellation and interruption, baggage delay, baggage coverage, travel delay, emergency medical and dental, emergency, medical transport and evacuation, and travel accident insurance. Feel free to Contact us for recommendations.
What documents do I need to take?
All visitors need a passport with at least six months of validity left and one other form of identification.
Please see the Indo Travel Page for a more detailed breakdown of Visa requirements by country.
We require that you send us your passport information including the number, date of issue, and place of issue prior to your departure so we can arrange the necessary permits for your travel. In case you misplace any vital documents you should also carry a back-up photocopy of your passport, ID, and airline ticket with you at all times. It doesn’t hurt to leave another copy at home as well.
What should I pack for my trip?
Keep it light. If you have a small bag and a boardbag, you are stoked. Anything more than one extra suitcase will start to feel like too much. Please see the Packing page for a detailed list of what to bring.